Arepas, Tequeños and Empanadas, Oh my!








As you may have noticed by now I LOVE FOOD. I confess I am a food snob. Life it too short to eat bad food and drink bad wine. I don’t know who said this..but it’s freakin true!

This weekend I got my fill good food AND great art. I spent the weekend with Gigi Mederos and Stevie Black. Talented artists and great cooks. Gigi and Stevie had an artist's Reception at the Gallery at Spencer Lofts in Chelsea (www.galleryspencerlofts.com).
The artwork of Gigi and Steve will be hanging @ Gallery Spencer Lofts throughout the month of June. Check out Gigi’s website (http://www.adrianamederos.com/).

As for the food let’s say I was in Venezuelan heaven. Gigi gave me the Chilean Empanada & Arepa Venezolana 101 course. Our empanadas were filled with a juicy mixture of ground beef called "guiso" in Venezuela. This hearty concoction was filled with tasty things. Olives, raisins, onions, peppers, hard boiled eggs, celery and two other SECRET ingredients which I will not reveal. Gigi told me but I won’t tell you! LOL…..They start with the letter T and P…figure it out. Or send me a check for ONE BILLION DOLLARS and will tell ya. Anyway, we were up at the crack of dawn (arghh...I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON) to fill these doughy pillows with meat and cook them up in the oven. Yummy….I ate them as fast as we could assemble and cook them. MMMMM…….tasty!

One secret ingredient I WILL tell you is to use chicken broth in your empanada masa (dough)! It makes the dough very savory.

We then cooked up some Tequeños that she had in her freezer! They store very well and tasted great. Eerily they look like fingers, hence Gigi’s children have named them Mummy Fingers! These “fingers” were dipped into the elegantly named sauce called “Salsa Rosada” (Pink Sause) aka Mayuketchup in other countries. LOL…this tasty little sauce is simply Mayonaise, Ketchup, Mustard and Worceshire sauce mixed together. Don’t knock it till you tried it. Soon you will be putting Salsa Rosada on everything! It’s that good.


Recipe for Chilean Empananadas (filling and dough)
http://www.vinceandjessica.com/empanadas/index.htm

Recipe for Tequeños
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=257821

Recipe for Arepas Venezolanas
http://www.venezuelatuya.com/cocina/arepa.htm

Comments

TahjiMumford said…
Those sound dee-licious I love to eat and cook. I am tempted to try the empanada recipe, thanks for the tasty post!

Popular Posts