Do you know who your frieinds are?


Today is July 18, 2007! Three years ago (2004) on this day I met a very special person. I literally picked her up in a bar! She was funny, chatty, interesting, stylish and just generally a nice person to talk to. We were at an event for her brother and I came to this event with my brother. He introduced me to her and we just hit it off and became instant friends. Now we are inseparable! We are like freaking siamese twins. You won't see one without the other! She was my friend for only a few months when I was diagnosed with cancer....she was SO there for me as I went thru all the stages of that...the surgery, the recovery, the anger, the weight loss, the hair loss, the chemotherapy, my swearing like a sailor stage, and then deciding I should be a lady and not swear anymore stage (that lasted 3 fuckin' minutes) LOL. She had only just met me....but she stuck around during the tough times and showed me that she is a TRUE friend. Now she is not the only person in my life that I consider a SPECIAL person...but she is at the top of the list. Now I don't want all my other friends to get jealous.........I love you all! I just wanted to give Marlene a special shout out, because today is our anniversary and we were supposed to be out celebrating.....having fancy drinks at a fancy place with our fancy clothes. That is how we do it!!! We are corny and we love each other like sisters! So Miss Biuty...our nite is postponed...not cancelled!


So people, if you have a very good friend...let them know you know who they are and give them some props for that.

Others that are on the list of my VERY SPECIAL PEOPLE: this is an abbreviated list...so if you don't see your name...don't go all mental on me!!!

Everyone in my family
Las Princessas!!
Kevin
The Firehouse Girls (JW,MT,CW)
Di & Babs
Christine R (My Fav Nurse)
Christine (My Polish Mom)
The Proger One Girls (U know who you are!)
Denzel Washington (had to sneek him in, love him, LMAO)
GNO Girls (TLN, DC, DD)
Tracy's Dad (My white dad)
The Academy ( oh sorry...slipped into delusions of grandeur world) ;)

Comments

Erik and I were out tonight and after a margarita I was telling him how I miss you, and how you used to be my best'est friend, and what a shame I live so far away and am so busy.

And then I come home and check emails and I see this!

As one of the GNO girls I completely agree how important friends are!

Can't believe that it is nearly three years since you were first diagnosed with cancer.

I remember the night it all started. All of us GNO girls were out w/ our current men and you were suppose to be there as you had organized the whole night.

But you ended up at the ER and that night was the beginning and you're life would never be the same.

You have amazed me and my entire family as to how well you have handled the last three years. You have been nothings short of amazing and have more energy than us non-cnacer folks. I truly don't know how you do it.

So even though I am an old married woman who lives far way and has two crazy kids - please know I think of you always, you have a special place in my heart, I am always here for you if you need me(seriously I am, have car will travel!)

I am so gald you have Marlene and this whole huge group of friends that would do ANYTHING for you!

All my love - Tracy
DW said…
Vaca,
You're my STAR!
Mona XO
Can I be your BF too? You are hilarious!!!!! And strong...intelligent and beautiful! Fearless... I really like you girl! Thank you for sharing that and fo' shoing a bitch love when she needed it badly! Much love and inspiration always....Linda
Well there you go again, Marlene, Marlene, Marlene...

But you know what? I do appreciate Marlene very much and for the same reasons you do. She is there for you. She is the real deal! Good friends like her are hard to find. You are very fortunate that your family is here too. Family and friends get you through the difficult times. So for someone who grew up in PR and has settled in Boston, I’ve become appreciative of the love and support of the few relatives I have here and the friendships I've cultivated through these past few years.

Not until 2001, when I graduated from BU, I was able to get out there more and began to meet the wonderful people in Boston. Raising a family, working full-time and going to school part-time, didn't leave much room for socializing.

If I had to list a few of my closest friends, like you Las Princessas are on the top of my list, but I would also like to acknowledge a few that even thought we don’t communicate every day have been there at significant times in my life. For example, Digna (we share the same name) made an impact and was instrumental in how I see the world today. I know if I pick up the phone today it will be as it was yesterday the last time we spoke. I do have two sisters, who are very different and I care for dearly. They are both very honest with me – nothing less to expect from family. My daughter and I are still working on our relationship. We were always like friends, but now that she has become a mother, I see her valuing or relationship even more.

So yes! Let’s hear it for our family & friends! Oh, God – is that from an eighties’ tune?
Hi Evelyn! I absolutely love your blog! I know exactley what you mean when it comes to friendships and although we don't see eachother as often as we would like, always know that I am here for you! We have been friends for almost 10 yrs now....wow mija! I wouldn;t change anything about it. We have great memories!!!

Luv ya!
bennab said…
I think I am probably the luckiest one of all because I am actually related to Marlene (my Marli). She is my sister and Titi to my beautiful little girl Luna. I have the privilege to share all the special (and difficult) moments of my life with her. Only she knows things about me that I would never let anyone else see or know.(I'm actually quite funny and silly!) She is my alter ego. Marli embodies so many of the qualities I wish I had. She has this ability to bring out the best in everyone she touches and is the most unselfish person I know. I don't give her half as much as what she gives me everyday of our lives. Its not hard to understand why everybody loves my Marli. So Marli if you're reading this blog, you know this is yet one of those things I just don't do, but I couldn't let this chance go by without saying I LOVE YOU! You're one of the sweetest things in my life!

Happy Anniversary!
Anonymous said…
Hi Evelyn,
You have the honor of having the first blog I have ever read. I was hoping to get through my life without reading one, but what the hell! If you can't beat them join them.

I'm honored to be on your list. I was about to check in to see how chemo was going. When should I schedule you for your next foot rub? Lucky for you you have great looking feet!

Love ya,
DC
Jennie Watkins said…
As another Firehouse girl said to me...

"friends are our chosen family"...

I love you my sistah!!!!

jw
Anonymous said…
Eve, you are unique and I am so lucky to have you as a friend. I don't think of you as a person who has cancer. Cancer changes a person. You, however, have not changed or at least you're too proud to show it! I wish that I could spend more time with you - yeah my flaw that I need to fix - as we need to always cherish the times we have with our friends, their extended family. YOU ARE FAMILY TO ME, EVE!!! Much Love and Many Blessings - Babs

Popular Posts