Travel. Travel is constantly on my mind!

As far back as I can remember I have loved to travel! Maybe it’s because I have been travelling since the ripe old of age 1! I just can’t get enough of other countries. Maybe I was a gypsy or a nomad in another life! I have a deep rooted curiosity about the world! I want to eat the foods of the places I visit, I want to talk to their people and I want to live the way they do. It is an obsession…but I love it!

In my life I have travelled to Canada, Spain, Italy, England, Argentina, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Jamaica, Mexico, and many states in the good old USA! I enjoy learning about the local culture, eating the food, meeting the people and seeing the sites of each city! I especially enjoy trying to learn the native dance of each country.

Every year I try to get out of the country at least 3 times! In the last 12 months I made it to the following cities in and out of the USA: Washington, DC Buenos Aires, Argentina London, England Roseau, Dominica Negril, Jamaica I had a wonderful time in each! I highly recommend them all!

Below are some quick tidbits about what I did in each city.

Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires is a wonderful city! Full of fashion and Malbec and grilled meats! I can honestly say that I gained 5 pounds while here! I was all over this city riding the train, I visited Evita Peron’s grave, I took tango lessons! Buenos Aires is a city full of artistic culture and artists are well embraced here. One of the highlights of this trip was Teatro Ciego (Blind Theater) http://teatrociego.org/. Here you listen to a play and eat your meal complete darkness! They do not tell you what your meal is or what the show will be about. It’s a complete sensory experience that I highly recommend.

Dominica
Dominica was one of the stops on a cruise I took. I decided I wanted to take a cooking class while I was there and learn how to make a couple of local dishes. We made several things, among them Creole Fish, a tasty pumpkin drink called Wicked Jack, Lime Garlic salad dressing, Rice and Peas in Coconut Milk and my favorite Plantains in Shredded Coconut. I’ve included the recipe for you below.

Plantains in Shredded Coconut
Yield 15 portions
Ingredients
2 Coconuts
4 ripe Plantains, peeled

For Batter
2 Eggs
1 cup Milk
½ cup Water
All-purpose flour
Oil for frying

Method

1. break coconuts and remove from shell. Peel off brown skin and grate on large side of grater and set aside.
2. Cut plantains into wedges about 1/2 –inch thick
3. To make batter, whisk together eggs, milk, water, and ¾ cup flour until well blended. Cover and set aside.
4. Toss the plantain in the remaining flour, and dip in batter. Then coat with coconut.
5. Deep fry until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels
6. Serve immediately.

London

What can I say about London? I. LOVE. THIS. TOWN! I was a complete and total tourist! I made my way over to Tower Bridge to see the crown jewels, I rode the double deckers, spent a good amount of time at Harrods! Went to Kensington Park and reflected about life at the Princess Diana Memorial. I had a hearty meal of Sunday Roast (see pic)! I took a ride on the London Eye and saw wonderful views of London! I also managed to charm a bobby into posing with me (see pic). Went to a great London Bar, Village East http://www.villageeast.co.uk/ and discovered my new favorite drink, The Vicar’s Tea Party!

Negril, Jamaica

My most recent trip was a girls trip to Negril, Jamaica! I went with one of my close friends Jennifer. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort called the Riu. This resort was moderately priced and well attended to! It was right on the beach and has two swimming pools that we named the quiet pool and the party pool! The party pool has the swim up bar! We spent our days lounging by the pools and the beach drinking Rum Cream on the Rocks a very popular Jamaican produced cream liquer. We also visited Earls’ Jerk Chicken shack every day. The Shack is right on the resort’s beach…so you don’t have to walk very far! This Jerk Chicken is the best in the world…..AND he shared his recipe with me! (See pic) The Riu’s entertainment staff kept us laughing, having fun and then doubled as dancers in the daily evening shows! We also took trips to Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville and to Rick’s Café where we watched divers jump from an 80 foot cliff into the deep blue sea! The highlight of the trip was a walk up Mayfield Falls! Our group had the entire falls all to ourselves as we walked up and splashed around in it! We were very sad to leave the Jamaican sunshine and its generous and loving people! We must go back as soon as we can and you should go too!

And last but not least Washington, DC DC is one of my favorite cities! So much to do, so much culture, so much power! I have a blast everytime I go there! A full account of my DC vacation is here: http://eveonmymind.blogspot.com/2010/07/vacation-fourth-of-july-in-dc.html


London:  Don’t ask me why, but I always try to get pictures with cops when I go on vacation! 
If you love Jerk Chicken try Earl’s Jerk Chicken at the Riu Negril Resort in Jamaica! 
Tell him I sent you!


 Negril:  I so enjoyed the vigorous and refreshing walk up Mayfield Falls in Negril! 

The best Sunday Roast in London is at The Kings Arms! 

Comments

Popular Posts