Vacation: Fourth of July in DC!!!

French Martini @ Delux



Dancing @ Citron








VACATION: Washington, DC

I finally took some much deserved time off! A couple of the girls and I went to DC to visit our good friend Frances. WE HAD A GREAT TIME!!! Frances was the Cruise Director for the most part. She is a fountain of info about DC!!
The vacation was fabulous meals, fabulous places, mansions and pools OH MY!
Our first day there was full of activity: We put on our fierce outfits and headed out to Gibson (delicious drinks), then Cork for dinner and wine (awesome apps), the club Citron (VIP Room) for a night of latin dancing!

The next day thanks to our host’s excellent connections, we hung out at the Blaine Mansion in a rooftop pool. VP Biden’s assistant hung out with us..and it turns out he is from Massachusetts! Brunch was at the famous Tabard Inn! The doughtnuts…OMG! You have to try them. In the evening we packed a picnic and made our way over to the Lincoln Memorial to watch the Fourth of July Fireworks! We decided that we would watch the fireworks at the feet of Lincoln every year from now on!

On the itinerary for the next day was a tour of the Capitol! It was about a gazillion degrees out this day! By the way, the theme of the trip was exaggeration! LOL…so it was a jazillion degrees out and we head out to the Capitol. We get in line and proceed to wait and wait and wait……..and wait! Finally, they tell us that some other tourist left an unattended bag inside the capitol and that basically we could not get it because it was now a huge freakin security nightmare! We didn’t see it….sooooooooooooooo…we crossed the street and went to the Library of Congress! Sweet! It is a stunning building and the sculptures out front…were HOT! LOL In the evening we headed to Sequioa (on the Waterfront) for dinner! Feta and Watermelon salad, yummy!

No vacation of mine is complete without shopping! NIDO our favorite spot to shop in Georgetown! We lay by the pool after and had lunch at Leopolds! Then came home and cooked a fabulous dinner for Frances! Israeli Couscous with red onion, feta, cucumbers, tomatoes and chicken. Avocado w/pistachios for an appetizer and a bottle of some tasty Chilean wine!

The tour of DC continued with a breathtaking stop at the Washington National Cathedral! I sat in the pew the POTUS sits in when he goes there. We then hopped on the Circulator bus and proceeded to hunt for Dumbarton Oaks (a beautiful garden). We stayed there for a bit..but it was now 900 trillion degrees and we were spent. Went home and knocked out for about 3 hours! We walked A LOT this day! Lunch was at Café Delux. A delicious and perfectly chilled French Martini!

Museum Day Next! My goal was to hit four museums in one day and get to my meeting point with Frances by 5:30pm. I plotted my route so that I would start far out and work my way in and closer to the meeting point.

Stop One: Museum of Natural History
This is where I attempted to steal the hope diamond! Didn’t work…I bought a book and a pin that looks just like it! I also saw a couple of the other exhibits: Mammal Hall, Ocean Hall and the gift shop! I wanted to have a quick lunch…so I bought a veggie spring roll from the big yellow trucks! Yummy, but unhealthy!

Stop Two: National American History Museum
This is where I got sidetracked. I went to see the Julia Child’s Kitchen exhibit (see quote about meals, so true!!) and ended up spending the better part of the afternoon there at the First Ladies Exhibit, The Star Spangled Banner Exhibit and Abraham Lincoln’s hat and the Music exhibit. I saw Celia Cruz ‘s red dress and Michael Jackson’s fedora! I even took a picture of my hand next to a replica of Lincoln’s hand! This is also where I acquired Lampchop! My version of Flat Stanley!

I then took a pedi cab ride with Lampchop to the Newseum!!! See pic from pedicab seat! The white house! Woo Hoo!

Stop Three: Newseum (the world’s most interactive museum, where five centuries of news history meets up-to-the-second technology on America’s main Street)
The Newseum was a lot of fun and I really enjoye d it! The Unabomber’s cabin was there, a piece of the berlin wall, a gallery of Pulitzer prize winning pictures! (see picture of quote about pictures). Some of these pictures did just pull your heart right out of your chest. Very emotional!

My last stop was supposed to be the Spy Museum…but I had run out of time…I hopped on the Metro to rendezveous w/Frances and we headed to Farragut West for Salsa Dancing in the park!

The next day was beauty day. I headed out to Judith’s Dominican Hair Salon in Adams Morgan (yes! Dominican do hair the best). They expertly washed and rolled hair into bouncy shiny curls!

Lunch: Julia's Empanadas! I had the turkey one! I was startled by a man who looked just like Anthony Bourdain! I mean exactly! We had a great chat and went our separate ways!

I went and got a manicure and then hopped on the Circulator again and went to the W hotel to meet Frances for drinks and snax @ the ultra exclusive bar POV which has a fabulous view of the White House. You can see the sharp shooters from there! (See pic) Here I spotted a celebrity (other than myself. Ha ha). It was Stacy London from “What Not to Wear”. I don’t usually approach celebrities for pictures…but I had to say hi to Miss London! She rocks! (see pic). She told me I was gorgeous and she loved my outfit! Snacks: fries, watermelon and goat cheese salad and calamari! Que rico! That evening more dancing at Bossa in Adams Morgan area. More empanadas from Julia’s and Music by Local band Sin Miedo.

My second to last day in DC I took it easy, I was TIRED! So I lounged around the house resting! Then Frances and I went out for a decadent lunch @ Jaleo! This meal was so amazing that it was worth recording every item: Chilled almond and garlic soup with crab meat and green grapes, sliced apples and fennel salad with Manchego cheese, walnuts and Sherry dressing; Lightly battered eggplant with honey, Sautéed cauliflower with dates and olives, Roasted sweet onions, pine nuts and Valdeón blue cheese; Homemade grilled pork sausage with sautéed white beans, Grilled quail with rosemary sauce and honey alioli. We each did a flight of three red wines and we had sorbet for dessert! I then made the fatal mistake of having a cup of espresso at 3pm! I was awake til 3am! So I watched the entire season of
Glee!

My last day in DC consisted of laundry, packing and preparing some treats for Frances. I made her a gazpacho and a fruit sorbet of Blueberries, Strawberries and greek yogurt and orange juice. I froze them all so that she would find them in the freezer when she got home. This was one of the best vacations ever! Thanks Princessas! Thanks FC for hosting us and always being a ton of fun! We have all had so many good memories together and this is just another one on the list that we will continue building on! The End!








































Comments

What an awsome account of your vacation. Makes me want to do a blog entry myself. I'm glad you guys had a great time. Pictures were great too.
What a great account of your vacation - It made me think I was there. ... Wow I'm tired! LOL! I;m really glad you had a great time in DC. Frances is a great host.

Popular Posts