The Shortest Hollywood Career Ever








Dear Mr. Washington,

I am writing this to you
and I hope that you will read it so you'll know
My heart beats like a hammer and I stutter and I stammer
every time I see you at the picture show.
I guess I'm just another fan of yours
and I thought I'd write and tell you so.
By Judy Garland


This weekend was my big debut in a Major Hollywood Picture. I was an extra in the movie “The Great Debaters” directed by Denzel Washington. I am a major fan of his, so this was a great opportunity to see him. My friend Marlene and I were both extras in this film.

Marlene and I arrived on the set at 6 am. No one but Denzel can get me out of bed at 5am and have me be somewhere at 6am! I hope he appreciated my effort. The set is already buzzing at 6am with 500 plus extras and 200 crew people. Several tents were set up around Memorial Hall in Cambridge. Hair & Make up, Extras Holding, the SAG Tent, Check in. After about 2 hours of hair and make up and wardrobe we finally go into the real set. Inside Memorial Hall @ Harvard University. Most the extras were to be in the audience, some had prime visibility spots on stage! We then proceeded to shoot and re-shoot the same scene for about 4 hours! Cut, Reset, Rolling, Pictures up, Background Action was most of what we heard that day. Denzel was busy directing and doing his thing…so on Saturday he didn’t really address the extras. I was expecting at least a group thank you from him or even just some acknowledgement that I was there! I worked 12 freaking hours, that I will only be paid 100 bucks for…I should have gotten a measly thank you from DW. Basically, we sat in the audience and awaited the Action command. Once that happened…we pantomimed that we were talking to each other and eagerly awaiting the start of the Great Debate. I deserve an Oscar Nom for my work as an extra in this film. At least give me an award for having to sit next to stinky, skater boy all morning.

We then broke for a 30 minute lunch. Yes, only 30 minutes given to a group of 700 and with only 3 porta potties! Our lunches were very tasty! I had the Virginia Baked Ham sandwich myself! Everyone else seemed to be choosing the turkey! Why..I don’t’ know…but I chose the ham because the line was shorter. There unlimited snacks available to us, Cheez its, trail mix, gold fish crackers, pretzels, donuts, muffins, bagels, fruit, granola bars! I resisted the urge to eat all the Goldfish crackers in sight! I love goldfish crackers. So after lunch..we all are awaiting our groups to be called in for more filming……alas, Group 4 (my group and obviously the most talented) did not get called back in after lunch for more filming. So I was outside waiting for about 3 hours and nothing! It was pretty boring. I was too wired to read and could not really sleep peacefully with all the buzz of people talking. They finally released us at 8:30pm…so begins the mad rush to return your costume to wardrobe! That took about 90 minutes! I got my dress off in one piece…but the dress ripped in the back…the seams came undone…so I turned it in with a gaping hole! Oh well! No biggee…the dress is from the 1930’s…..I am surprised the thing didn’t disintegrate on me.

I did not return on Sunday, the second day of shooting. I was too dang tired and frankly bored with the movie making process. It takes too long and unless you are a major star with a trailer and a list of demands, it’s no fun.

I did get to see DW up close though….He finally came off the set and hopped into a blue SUV…he rolled down the window and seemed to be waving right at me! It was worth it! I got to see him in person and be in a movie with him! Woo hoo. My days as a Hollywood starlet are over!

Comments

Pamela said…
Hello eve! I was offered to be an extra for The Great Debaters by casting director Chris Gray!! his assistant called me after reading my letter about Denzel and Oprah being my heros, to make a long story short, she said Chris is so excited for me and would like to know would I like to be an extra! I was sreaming YES,she explained to me that i would be doing this at my own RISK and that they dont pay for travel, hotel roooms etc, i told her I understand. She asked me what date would I like to be an extra in, July 5th Or July 16th I told her July 16th, she said great!! let me give you Chris Gray cell number so he can give you location information, when i called his cell phone i thanked him over and over again, he said you are very welcome!!! he told me to make sure i call him a few days early so that i would know what time and location to get fitted for wardrobe,well to make a long story short, i called him July 13th,14th, and gave up on the 15th,he returned my call July 16th(the day of my casting call)he said that he thought i was in Shreveport already,and he thought his assistant had gave me location information, I was trying to keep a cool tone because I was devastated, I had told almost everyone in Kansas City that i was going to be an extra in T.G.D. he said SORRY YOU MISSED OUT,because today was the last day of filming in Shreveport!! I said thank you anyway for the offer! Oh well, everything happens for a reason!! and after reading your experience Iam glad it turned out like it did!(for me) But I can say I was blessed to meet Denzel on Oprah show last year(10/12/06)it aired 10/31/06 Oprah invited me onstage to meet Denzel, i was wearing orange and black with curly hair ( : the other lady that was on stage with me said dam!! you got to hug him three times(sure did)Denzel is a wonder person, he joked with me during comerical break, asking what city i lived in, and then he said, you!!! you are strong you almost broke my neck he had his hands around his troat pretending to choke (lol)he also asked me and the other lady are we having a good time, be both said at the same time I dont know her!!! He started slapping his hands together cracking up, he said you all are down there beating each-other up and dont know each other ( : the other lady and I was sreaming and shaking each other when he walked out, Iam trying to find out how to post my picture I have with him, iam 38 and dont know how! i will see if my kids will help me they are 17 and 19, well congrads!! on being an exra god bless you!
Pamela said…
Eve! sorry i forgot to tell you I also have a picture with Wonder Oprah!!
Anonymous said…
Pamela! Thank you so much for your comments! I love DW and Oprah too. I hope to someday be an audience member on her show and maybe I will get a pic with her and DW.
hernan said…
when i want to see a moveee star i just look at my bathroom mirror... and then i said...hello you... can i have your firma... and send a kiss to him.
hernan said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
I am Sooooo Jealous!!! Can't wait to say I knew you when!

Popular Posts