I am not brave



I am not brave.

As a cancer “survivor” my circle of peeps always tell me how brave and how strong I am. They tell me you have handled this “battle” so gracefully. They
want to be able to handle life’s curveballs they way I do. Battle? This is a fucking siege! An attack on the building that is my body! An internal weapon of mass destruction. My friends ask me how I do it. How can I appear so calm, cool and collected. Frankly, I don’t fucking know how to explain how I do it. Yes, I am upset that my body has betrayed me. Yes, I am upset that my used to be sexy navel is now a less sexy (but still sexy!!) road map of scars. Yes, I have experienced pain that would make a grown man cry, but I AM NOT BRAVE. I am strong, but not brave.

I recently read an article in Newsweek (the title of this article is “ We Fought Cancer…And Cancer Won”. The one sentence from this article that reached out and slapped me, was the following by Therese Mulvey, a Boston oncologist she said, "The metaphor of fighting cancer implies the possibility of winning." Read this shit again and out loud so that you can really absorb the meaning of it. I will pause while you do that. ;)


So, like I was saying....I am not brave. I am not fighting cancer…I just keep taking the hits and getting up after. I take a licking but keep on ticking. I won’t stay down for long. Hell to the no! My friends can attest to that. Kev, Marlene remember the Shakira concert?, Karla remember all the Comadre meetings I attended after chemo, after radiation?, Babs, Di…remember Acapulco, Princessas remember Frances & Gonzalo wedding in PR? Digna, remember all the times I showed up to tape Boston Latino Tv after chemo? I did all the things that I would normally do if I did not have cancer. And guess what…I enjoyed myself. I don’t think it takes bravery for that. I have not quite identified what it is that it takes….maybe chutzpah, bolas, cojones, ovaries…I don’t give a fuckness…you name it…I got it……but I don’t think it’s bravery.


I also don’t worry about it. Maybe I have a bit of the Scarlett O’Hara mentality in me…”Fiddle dee dee…I’ll think about it tomorrow. I frequently say to my doctor….”I am not going to worry unless you give me something to worry about.” Why worry about something I can’t control? I got shit to do! Maybe, I am just so done with cancer and all it’s sneaky moves that I just don’t give a fuck! I live in spite of my body betraying me, I enjoy life even though I know what is going to kill me. I don’t worry about petty ass shit or petty ass people who can’t see that life is about living and not about material crap or people that won’t take a risk…those people make me lose my mind up in here. TAKE IT…take the risk. You might not get another chance. Anyway….I eat that fattening dessert and drink that wine when ever I get the chance. I say the things that everyone is thinking but won’t say out loud. (well most of the time, regular people just can’t handle that level of frankness…LOL.

One thing cancer does to you is put your shit in perspective, if it wasn’t crystal clear before it will be after cancer visits you. I have always been very grounded and very aware of shit…now I have 20 fucking 20 x-ray super woman vision…..I can see bullshit coming around the corner…….. And yes…I swear more…you know why…cuz I can and it’s legal and you can’t make me stop so there! (that is a shout out to my girl POTTY MOUTH PINK JENNY).

Life is short, live it up and all those cliché sayings..blah…blah…blah…. But it’s really not so cliché to me…cuz I really don’t know how short or long my life will be. Yet I digress…let me get back to what I was trying to get you, my loyal and loving readers to understand and that is that I am not brave. How can you be brave if you are fighting a losing battle that you did not choose to be in? How can you be brave against an opponent who has millions of people fighting against it and is knockin’ them down for a full count left and right, swattin’ them away the way Godzilla swats helicopters!

In spite of all the drama that cancer has caused in my life and in the lives of my loved ones….I am a happy well adjusted young lady who is not depressed, not on meds and having the time of her life. Now if I could just find my dream job and dream man. ;)


If you think you know what that elusive quality is that I have, pls comment. I fucking dare you. ;)


This blog was written in the “Stream of “Conciousness” style.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness

Cancer is like a like a gang initiation you get beat in and you get beat out. – La Eve!


PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT. YOU CAN DO SO ANONYMOUSLY WITHOUT CREATING AN ACCOUNT.

This blog entry has a sister blog entry see Jenny’s blog entry titled “I am not brave”. www.jennysaldana.com
Boxing Woman Graphic: www.finalbell.org
Newsweek Article: www.newsweek.com/id/157548

Comments

Bride-In-Need said…
My love. Yes, I'm first in line again :) Of course you would say you aren't brave. It's what "really" brave people do. I can tell you that you are brave regardless of what you may think and I can tell you too that this piece needs to be published! It is perfect in every way. Ironic, considering everything but all the more brilliant for what it's really about. You are looking at this experience--head on. So there you go, bravery at its best. I love you girl. I really do. I've said it before, you inspire me. I can't tell you how often you come to mind. Big hugs! And hey, don't forget we got a skate4colons date. We gotta raise money for la familia Colon...damn those Colon people. LOL!
Anonymous said…
FINE! Your not brave, but I can damn sure tell you you are an inspiration... to me. Though my actions and words may not show it, (cause you know I'm not into the mooshy shit), I commend you in having the attitude you have about shit!
P.S.
Your belly button is still sexy!!!!
marle! said…
E, you are brave because in the face of uncertainty and the challenges that cancer and life
brings, you stand up to both in its face each and every time
demonstrating that you have the moral strength to withstand any challenge thrown at you; that in the face of adversity when others let themselves be defeated by lifes curves, you, again, stand up and do what some can't... You LIVE; you live life, love life and life loves you....

No matter how many times it knocks you down (not up); you stand up
and do not let it defeat you and who you are.......

You stand strong, you stand to live and you my dearest amiga will
always stand BRAVE.
BRAVE: to face or endure with courage.

If you are not the example of bravery, I don't know what is. You have helped me put things in perspective. All is so trivial when compared to life and death. When out taping with you, never heard you complained ONCE! For this reason I feel you are the true face of a Latino community who is striving for the very best! Nothing will stand in the way of (like Oprah says) Living your best life.

Asi que amiguita, you are an inspiration to us all for your wit, sense of humor, beauty and yes, BRAVERY!

Love yah!
Anonymous said…
Dear Sexy smurf (It's what I've decided to call you from now on) when I read this I felt so challenged and scared. What could I possibly say that you didn't cover? Thank you for this! you rock!

J
Anonymous said…
Evelyn,

Very well written. Your words are insightful. Reading your blog has definitely given me a lot more understanding. You've got me thinking about a few things I had not considered, that's for sure. Thank you for sharing.

You hit the bull's eye with your comments about how necessary it is to throw down on a nice glass of wine and indulge in a sweet dessert.

BTW, I like the design of your blog. The addition of the videos is a great idea.

Kevin S
Anonymous said…
Hey all...thanks for the comments on this piece. It was very difficult to get it out in an orderly and organized fashion. So I just wrote exactly what was on my mind. Raw and unadulterated, with lots of reality thrown in. La Eve!
Anonymous said…
Brave is...
Relative and I can "relate" and attest that you're brave. Why? Because it takes a strong person to fight such a ravishing disease. Your bravery is in your presence, your attitude, your look, your humor, your smile, YOUR EVERYTHING!!!! - Babs
Anonymous said…
Brave is...
Relative and I can "relate" and attest that you're brave. Why? Because it takes a strong person to fight such a ravishing disease. Your bravery is in your presence, your attitude, your look, your humor, your smile, YOUR EVERYTHING!!!! - Babs
TahjiMumford said…
You are unsinkable and formidable, a force to be reckoned with....
Anonymous said…
You said everything that I have ever wanted to say and more! Keep on shouting it like it is!

Popular Posts