Epistles Submission: Dear Mami











Linda Nieves Powell of Latino Flavored Productions (www.latinoflavored.com) requested submissions for a show she conceived and produced. This show is called Epistle. This is my submission. It was selected to be in the show.

Dear Mami by Evelyn
*********************************************

Dear Mami:

It is a bright, sunny Sunday morning as I write this letter to you. Yet my heart does not feel bright and sunny today. You are sick. Sick with cancer. I know you are doing your best to be strong and put up a fight but I know you are tired. I am here for you to do everything you need me to do to make you feel better. The same way you took care of me when I was battling cancer is the same way I will take care of you.

You are my idol, my teacher, my example! Everything I learned in this life I learned from you. Yet there is still so much more I need to learn from you. I want to get inside your head and put all your knowledge on a jump drive so that when you are in heaven and I need you, I can access you. I know that right now the last thing you want to do is tell me how to make a sancocho or how to make and old fashioned Dominican cold remedy...but these are some of the things you will take with you when you are gone. I know you don't realize that all your old cooking pots mean so much to me....they have some of your magic in them.

Maybe I can access this magic in the future somehow. Maybe if I make a pot of rice in one of those pots it will taste just like yours. My beans might taste just like yours too if I cooked them in the same pot. AHHHHHHHHH! I am trying to think of how I can hold on to you forever in some way, all the while knowing that I can't. So until the day arrives that you rest your tired body, I will be by your side trying to absorb you, breathing the same air that you do and memorizing your scent, your smile, your look and the feel of your skin against mine, that glint you get in your eyes when you know something I don't. LOL...you can't hide your smugness. Hell...I inherited smug from you. I inherited your humor, your business savvy, your flair for dressing up, I even inherited you evil streak that plays jokes on people. DON'T LEAVE ME! Don't leave me! I was supposed to die first not you. Maybe I will die after and join you in heaven...unless of course one of us goes to hell. LOL.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Sometimes I pretend you are not sick and are not going to die...just so I can feel normal and whole again for a little bit. Every time I think of what is going to happen...I feel a part of me drift away and it leaves a whole a big old motherfucking whole in my heart. Just writing this letter to you is stirring up all the emotions I keep at bay. They are right up close to the surface and anything little things sets them off. I was at an event the other day and I saw an older woman about your age dancing with a younger woman about my age...of course it made me cry, because the realization that I will never dance with you again was right in my face. In that moment I was jealous of everyone whose mother was illness free. Why? Why you? Why me? Why the fuck why? Oh I am so tired, so tired of asking why? I don't know why and knowing why probably won't cure me or your or make either one of us feel better. I love you mom. You know so cuz I tell you every day. I baptize you with a kiss on each cheek and an "I love you" in each ear every day.

Well, Mami, there really is not much more I can say. When you are in heaven, pls watch out for me, and make sure I am safe and if you are not too busy up there....let me know the lottery numbers so I can hit the jackpot.

Your daughter,

Evelyn!

Comments

Oh Evelyn, I ask myself too, why you?!! But there must be very good reason for all you have gone through. You know you are my inspiration. I can safely say, I'm not alone on this.

I just lost my grandmother this weekend and even though we've seem to have lost her long ago due to Alzheimer's when death visits, you know there is no way back. All we can do is keep our love ones memories alive.

You are right to try to capture every minute of every day with her. Be there for her and for you too. I'm pretty certain that the people we shared our life with here, we do meet again in heaven. And until we do, they watch over us.
Anonymous said…
You have been granted a very special moment in time from God, to spend time with your Mami, to share those moments that will make a lifetime of memories. When I lost my mother, it was sudden, it shook the core of my existence, it was unfair! All those times that we spent arguing over things seem miniscule to being "severed" from each others lives forever. I'm still very angry, still very confused, still very lonely without her. All the many times that I verbalize to others "my mother always said" does not make up for the time that was snatched away from us. You are truly blessed Eve, it may not seem that way now because there are so much emotion, so much grieving, so much of EVERYTHING you want to hold on about her. But know you have been blessed with TIME, choice to make of it what you will while she's still here...be diligent about absorbing every moment you've been given to be with her...you'll need those cherished moments to get you through when she's no longer physically here with you. - Babs

Popular Posts