Essay #7 I Have No Time!!!!


"Nope, I Am Not Faculty: The Chronicles of a 40-something Year Old College Fashionista”


Happy New Year!!!!! I know, I know….the new year is a month old! I am late! I also have NO TIME!!! Hence my last blog was on 11/25/17.

I started working a full time job (Yay) in December and I am taking two classes this semester. Between all of this commuting, social life, cooking, laundry, self care, my dogs, family life…..I have absolutely no time! That being said..... I started writing for Herself360 and I am a also a stylist for Swap It

This weekend will be dedicated to the Superbowl, family and homework!

The first class I am taking is Fashion & Art in the 20th C. with K. McDermott

Follow K. McDermott on Instagram @Diva_Museum. She is documenting her #noshoppingchallenge with her amazing artwork!

This course introduces students to the connection between fashion & art in the 20th century. We will learn how fashion & fabric design reflect the century's major art trends- cubism, surrealism, abstract expressionism, pop, minimal- ism, and post-modernism. Fashion as Art will explore, for example, Picasso's costume designs for the theater in the 1900's, Elsa Schiaparelli's collaborations with Man Ray and Salvador Dali in the 1930's, the connections between Mary Quant's Mod fashions and Pop Art in the 1960's and, in the 1990's how the post-modernist John Galliano incorporates the entire history of fashion in his designs. Through the study of slides, video clips museum exhibitions and vintage garments, students will learn to identify fashion as art.

The second class is Intro to Creative Fashion with A. Chan.

This course teaches students how to communicate original ideas using the geometric principles of design, and helps them to master block pattern structure. Basic garment construction, fundamental draping, and development of couture are covered. These skills are used to translate creative designs into three-dimensional form in both fabric and non-textiles

We just started our non-textile project. I went from making a cape, to making a kimono, to making a todard, to making a dress with a cape and back to making a kimono! I decided last night in class that the kimono was the way to go for me. Ill post pictures of the process in another blog entry.

And of course I went to Blick to get some supplies for my project and I was asked again if I was Faculty! Stay tuned the next blog will be about my Non Textile Kimono! I will give you a hint: Red Duct Tape




Comments

Popular Posts