Essay #6 The #NoShoppingChallenge

"Nope, I Am Not Faculty: The Chronicles of a 40-something Year Old College Fashionista”

On November 19, 2017, I watched the documentary "Riverblue". I was shocked at what I saw, to the point that I vowed to not shop for one year! Hence the #NoShoppingChallenge was born. I will not be purchasing any brand new clothes, accessories, shoes, belts! The only thing I will buy is ethically produced fabric for my school assignments. If you know me you know fashion & shopping is my thing! So my thing! However, after watching this film and another called "True Cost" I was very affected by what I saw in both films. The human cost and damage to the planet was insane and just made me sick to my stomach! I felt I had to take action.

Here are some things you can do to make a difference:
(suggestions below are from one of the panelists, my friend & classmate Julie S and I took notes at the movie)

1. Keep all your clothes for as long as you can.
2. Don't throw them away. Find organizations that will recycle your clothing into useful clothing. Bring your clothes to PlanetAid drop boxes. (http://www.planetaid.org)
3. Shop second hand
4. Have swap parties with your friends.
5. If you need a new outfit for an event borrow it from a friend.
6. Shop our own closet when you need something to wear. Mix and match your clothes in different ways to make the outfit look fresh and new.
7. Stop dry-cleaning your clothes.
8. Sell your unused fabrics to Queen of Raw. You can also buy fabrics from her. Queen of Raw is the premiere online marketplace to sell unused fabrics & buy high end raw materials.(https://www.queenofraw.com)
9. Visit http://fashionheroes.eco to find out where to buy clothing made in an ethical and eco-friendly way.
10. Don't shop for one year! This is my addition to this list! #NoShoppingChallenge


Fortunately, I grew up shopping second hand and I love it! I find the coolest pieces there! Like my $8 wedding dress and my $80 Bronze Leather Valentino Jacket, both from The Garment District in Cambridge ! My mom would also send our family clothes that we didn't need anymore to Dominican Republic. My aunt had a boutique there and she would resell them! So I grew up doing my part!

Now I will embark on the #NoShoppingChallenge. Join me if you dare! I have also started to edit my closet to eliminate the things that I don't wear anymore or don't fit. I will either give these pieces away or recycle them.

The last pieces of clothing I purchased I purchased the week before I saw the film. They were all pieces from the Tracy Ellis Ross collection at JCPenney! I have of course been tempted to buy something I think if fabulous...but I don't. The next time I buy anything will be when I am in Paris with my school in January of 2019! I can't wait.

Who is going to join this challenge with me?


Riverblue

It takes over 2500 gallons of water to make a pair of jeans, and 2250 to make a pair of shoes*. RiverBlue follows river advocate Mark Angelo on a journey through some of the world's most beautiful (polluted) rivers. Narrated by clean water supporter Jason Priestley, this groundbreaking documentary examines the destruction of our rivers, its effect on humanity, and the solutions that inspire hope for a sustainable future. Visit http://riverbluethemovie.eco to watch the film trailer. A panel discussion will follow the film.

True Cost


This is a story about clothing. It’s about the clothes we wear, the people who make them, and the impact the industry is having on our world. The price of clothing has been decreasing for decades, while the human and environmental costs have grown dramatically. The True Cost is a groundbreaking documentary film that pulls back the curtain on the untold story and asks us to consider, who really pays the price for our clothing? Filmed in countries all over the world, from the brightest runways to the darkest slums, and featuring interviews with the world’s leading influencers including Stella McCartney, Livia Firth and Vandana Shiva, The True Cost is an unprecedented project that invites us on an eye opening journey around the world and into the lives of the many people and places behind our clothes. https://truecostmovie.com

Reading List

Magnefeco

New Society Publishers, 2015: In the wake of the Rana Plaza factory collapse in Bangladesh—the worst garment industry accident in recorded history—the phrase “fashion disaster” acquired a new and much more sinister meaning. Commentators suggested that the tragedy was completely predictable in a sector with a shocking track record of rampant environmental damage, use of toxic chemicals, and chronic human rights abuse.

Now the industry is undergoing a shift, and many of us are questioning our buying habits. The rise of socially and environmentally responsible retailers like Patagonia and The Body Shop has led to dramatic changes in the eco and ethical fashion landscape. Magnifeco is the Fast Food Nation of the fashion world—your guide to making a difference too. In this guide, author Kate Black:

Examines non-toxic beauty and ethical fashion
Recommends a multitude of ways for consumers to make better decisions
Introduces the brands and designers leading the way along this socially responsible path
With this complete head-to-toe guide covering everything from hair and beauty products to shoes and footwear, you can feel better about everything you put on your body and be—magnifeco!

http://magnifeco.com/shop/

Comments

Popular Posts