Fashion: The Capsule Wardrobe

Fashion bloggers are in a tizzy over the “Capsule Wardrobe”! Honestly, I was not aware of this term until its current resurgence. Turns out it has been around since the 70s!
Capsule wardrobe is a term coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called "Wardrobe" in the 1970s. According to Faux, a capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don't go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces. (Source)
Google the term and you will find endless images and blogs about how to create one. Personally, I think it is a great idea, however I am not on board right now. I love the versatility of having a large wardrobe. I don’t want to wear the same 37 pieces of clothing for 90 days. I recently did a 30 day challenge of not repeating any outfits! It was fun and challenging to pick out different outfits and it forced me to be more discerning in my daily clothing selections. Doing this made me wear the pieces I had in my closet that I love but had not worn yet or often. It also made me realize that I don’t have many formal work shirts. I am obsessed with long sleeve, black and white long sleeve T-shirts! They are great staple that go with almost everything. Hmm...maybe I have capsulized this shirt! The pic I have included is a good example of work capsule. You will see that each top can be worn with each bottom. You have some scarves that are multipurpose (scarf, belt, shirt, head wrap) and shoes that go with all the outfits. This is a great guide to follow if you want to start a capsule wardrobe! You will need a capsule for each season. The good thing is that some of your pieces can be used in both Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter. For example that cute summer sun dress that you wore in the summer can transition to fall easily with the addition of tights, boots and a sweater over or under the dress! Or you could also follow the Steve Jobs ultra capsule wardrobe. It has 2 items: black mock neck long sleeve shirt, blue Levis 501s! If you are a person who wants to eliminate the thought process of choosing your outfit, or you want to have a “signature” look, I totally recommend the capsule wardrobe. A uniform look is a strong fashion statement! If you are a fashion fiend like I am, I challenge you to create a capsule out of the items you already have. You can do it!
Picture Source: Capsule Wardrobe Steve Jobs

Comments

Popular Posts